How is my apprenticeship funded?


The apprenticeship is either funded through the employer’s levy, or if the employer does not pay the levy, then they pay a 5% contribution of the funding and the other 95% is funded by the government.

For example a £14,500 2 year apprenticeship will cost your employer just £725.00.


How much time will I need to allocate to my apprenticeship?


The apprenticeship will be taking place alongside an employment contract. Therefore, you will work your normal hours as set by the employer and be required to spend 20% of your working hours doing off the job training and study towards your apprenticeship programme requirements. 20% translates to 1 day per week of your working time.


How long will it take?


Apprenticeships are a minimum of 12 months long. Our level 3 and 4 apprenticeships last between 18-27 months, not including the End Point Assessment (EPA) period.


How flexible is the learning?


This will be decided by the employer and training provider, depending on what the job role entails it may be that you have 1 day a week where it’s less busy and that is the time allocated by the employer for you to work on your apprenticeship.

Here is an article discussing some of the things you will learn on each type of apprenticeship – Transform Your IT/Cyber Team with These Must-Know Apprenticeship Career Paths


How do I access the apprenticeship?


BIT Training are the training provider who deliver the programme. This would need to be attached to a job which is provided by an employer. You’d either be hired on a standard contract or an apprentice contract and once this is done then we as the training provider can deliver the relevant material and support to help you achieve the qualification. Alternatively, you could be an existing employee with a training need identified so that you can upskill and retrain in a particular area.


What opportunities will the apprenticeship create for me?


An apprenticeship is a great opportunity that provides real work experience in the industry whilst you’re earning and working towards recognised qualifications which will lead to higher entry level jobs when the apprenticeship is over. This may be job opportunities from the company who you worked with for the apprenticeship or from other companies with similar roles on offer.


Am I guaranteed a job after the apprenticeship?


The employer will likely have hired you as an apprentice to be able to fulfil a particular role which they needed you to be trained for, so it’s highly likely you’ll retain your position in the company you did the apprenticeship with if you do not find another position elsewhere.


How much could I earn after completing my apprenticeship?


Depending on the job roles which you’re going for, IT and Cyber Security jobs generally pay upwards of £20k, in some cases going up to £80k-£90k.


Is there an age limit for an apprenticeship?


You must be aged 16 or over, however, there is no upper age limit.


Do I need any specific qualifications or experience to enrol?


As a minimum you will be required to have 5 GCSE’s graded A*- C and a real interest in the role and the apprenticeship. This includes English and maths qualifications, however apprentices without level 2 English and maths will need to achieve this level prior to taking the End Point Assessment stage. If you have additional qualifications such as A-Level or a Degree, then this will also be taken into consideration. In addition, the employer may set certain selection criteria as part of the recruitment process for some specific job roles.